Saturday 12 November 2016

Stamped silver bangle

Silversmithing class started again in September but I don't really have much to show.  I made this bangle before the summer break, but finished it off and polished it in the first class back.



It's made from 3.5mm round sterling silver wire.  I formed it, cut and soldered, then filed and polished.  Before it was formed I stamped on it. I stamped the word miłość (Polish for love).  The third letter is pronounced like a W and clearly we didn't have a stamp for that, or the accents, so I improvised.  I added a pattern using various sized hole cutters, but obviously didn't punch all the way through!  I wasn't very happy with how it turned out.  The large hole cutters didn't make a very even mark on the metal.



I can also see the join.  I filed it down and sanded it, but I took off so much silver that I can see that it's slightly thinner in that area.  I should have continued stamping after it was soldered to continue the pattern, but decided to leave it on the front only.



I had also planned to make a copper bangle the same size, but I haven't got round to it.  I've only worn the bangle once or twice as I actually find it really annoying, especially at work as it bangs on the desk as I type!

Never mind, not everything can be successful!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps an oval bangle might make it a bit less of a nuisance? Love the texture you've added to the silver.

Oops-Lah said...

I love bangles and always, always wear one, except when I'm on the computer or when I'm writing by hand. So I can understand that you can't really wear yours at work. But I think it turned out beautiful and it's one of a kind. xx

Sandra :) said...

It looks pretty, whether or not it's practical, lol. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Una said...

I think you are being too critical of your bangle. If it annoys you, it might help to push it further up your arm until it fits tightly.

Jane said...

things like this are a great learning experience, it all helps to develop greater skill for the next project

margaret said...

I rather like your bangle but as you say they can be annoying, I have a charm braclet but never wear it as it catches on my clothes

Sarah in Stitches said...

I know what you mean - I never wear bangles because they annoy me so much. They look so pretty though! Great attempt :D

Rachel said...

I agree - bangles and keyboards don't go well together. But it's much more satisfying to be driven frantic by a bangle you made yourself!